Last update: 10/26/2014
I was born in Ann Arbor, Michigan, where I also grew up. At Pioneer High School, I ran Cross Country and Track for three seasons each. I was much better at Cross Country. During that time I won a mile race with 4:48; I won my age group in a half-marathon (13 miles) with 1h20m; and I led my Cross Country team as the second man with a personal best 5K time of 16:25. I played Mr. Gardiner in a production of Pride and Prejudice in school. I also participated in numerous poetry readings in high school, though I lost my taste for it in college.
My first job was as a sales assistant at Frank's Nursery in Ann Arbor, when I was 16. When customers bought soil, they pulled up their truck to the back area where I carried out the bags of soil for them. I was also an election inspector and election inspector chairperson at the polling places in two presidential elections. In college, I worked as a docent at the Exhibit Museum of Natural History, a counselor at KidSport day camp, and as a busboy at Gratzi restaurant.
After graduating from the University of Michigan I moved to Rome, Italy, where I taught English for one year. After that I moved to New York City, where I still reside.
I've been making movies with my friends since we were 14 years old. In 2012 I attended New York Film Academy. I went on to spend some time as a screenwriter for a small production company. I am now creative director of my own production company, Hayride Films. I shoot video on a freelance and salaried basis, including medical training videos for the New York-based company, CityMD. For the first few years in New York, I worked as an assistant at the law firm, Sullivan & Cromwell.
I wrote my first novel when I was 10 years old. I have written 4 unpublished novels, and have published 3 novels and 4 short-stories under the name Eric T. Ford. I mostly write horror and science fiction.
I sometimes do professional photography. My favorite area of photography is portraiture; I also enjoy collecting street photography books. I love black-and-white film and still occasionally shoot with my dad's Nikon FA, which he bought the year I was born. I mostly use DSLRs and my iPhone.
Some random facts about me:
- When I was on a camping trip with the Cub Scouts in grade school, we were telling ghost stories around the fire. The stories I told upset the other kids so much that they began to cry, and their parents asked my dad to make me stop.
- There was a bully who picked on me until 5th grade, when I fought back and beat him up. He came at me later the same day in the cafeteria, and I swung my lunchbox at him as he ran away. Everyone who went to that school with me misremembers the story as me "beating someone up with a lunchbox."
- As a child I was plagued by frightening visions at night during which I was fully awake (hearing voices, seeing disturbing images). They were not nightmares or sleep paralysis. To date I have not been able to explain these experiences.
- I am a dog lover and my mother has kept corgis as pets for many years. We had two newfoundlands when I was young. I am allergic to cats.
- I eat a low carbohydrate, high fat diet. I annoy everyone I know by touting the health benefits of butter and red meat.
- I have a knack for drawing and drew a comic strip series throughout junior high. I was never happy with my drawing skills though, and gave it up when I started high school.
- While working at a law firm in New York, a banana I had brought in went missing, and as a joke my colleagues began bringing me bananas to replace the lost item. I ended up with 8 bananas, which I made into banana bread and brought to work the next day. This earned me the nickname "Banana Man."
- I am notorious among friends and family for my fondness for quoting the movie Deliverance.
- I can't whistle and I don't play any instruments.
- I once translated Bob Dylan's song "A Hard Rain's A-Gonna Fall" into German and performed it for German class (and played guitar, badly).
- I am left-handed, and yes, my grandmother tried to convert me to using my right hand because being left-handed is "of the devil."
- I enjoy cooking. Some of my specialties include cornbread, bacon, ice cream, shepherd's pie, pork chops, pulled pork, soups and stews of all varieties, and pancakes. I could make awesome carbonara and pizza in Italy, but the ingredients in America don't yield the same results.
- I have kept a dream journal since 2009 and I based one of my short films on a dream I had.
- My favorite food is home-made burritos. We did it in a certain way in my house growing up and that's how I still do it now.
- I hunt with my uncle once a year. I haven't taken a deer yet, but I helped my uncle field dress a deer a couple of years ago.
- I didn't drink until I was 21. To this day I am a famous light-weight; drinking doesn't agree with me much, and I rarely do it.
- I have shaken hands with 2 U.S. presidents: Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton. Jimmy Carter was a passenger on a commercial flight I was on; and Bill Clinton came to my workplace for a private fundraiser.
Back to my Home Page